Timaya, whose real name is Inetimi Alfred Odon, is a Nigerian singer, songwriter, and businessman known for his unique music style that blends reggae, hip hop, and Afrobeat.
He began his music career in 2005 and has since released several successful albums, collaborated with many artists, and won numerous awards. Timaya is also a successful entrepreneur with interests in real estate and hospitality.
Name: Inetimi Alfred Odon
Stage Name: Timaya
Place of Birth: Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria
Place of Origin: Odi, Bayelsa State, Nigeria
Occupation: Musician, Songwriter, Entrepreneur
Genre: Afrobeat, Dancehall, Reggae
Years Active: 2005 – present
Record Label: DM Records
Net Worth: Estimated at over $10 million.
Early Life And Education
Timaya was born Inetimi Alfred Odon on August 15, 1980, in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria. He grew up in a large family and was the last of fifteen children.
His parents were both civil servants, and they instilled in him a strong work ethic and the value of education from a young age.
As a child, Timaya attended Assemblies of God Nursery and Primary School in Port Harcourt, where he excelled academically.
He later went on to attend Nkpolu Oroworukwo Secondary School and completed his secondary education at Lagos State Comprehensive Secondary School in Epe, Lagos State.
After completing his education, Timaya struggled to find work, and for a time, he worked as a plantain seller to make ends meet. However, he never gave up on his dreams of becoming a musician.
In the late 1990s, Timaya began performing at local bars and clubs in Port Harcourt, honing his craft and building a following. He eventually caught the attention of Nigerian music producer K-Solo, who signed him to his record label, K-Solo Music.
Under K-Solo’s guidance, Timaya recorded his first demo, which caught the attention of Nigerian music mogul and CEO of DM Records, Don Jazzy.
Don Jazzy signed Timaya to his label and helped him record his debut album, “True Story,” which was released in 2005.
Despite initial skepticism from critics, “True Story” was a massive success, with hit tracks like “Dem Mama” and “Ogologomma” dominating the airwaves.
The album cemented Timaya’s status as a major force in Nigerian music and helped to launch his career to new heights.
READ MORE >>> Davido biography
Timaya’s career in the Nigerian music industry began in 2005 with the release of his debut album “True Story” under the label of Don Jazzy’s Mo’ Hits Records.
The album was a major success, with the single “Dem Mama” becoming a nationwide anthem and earning Timaya the nickname “Egberi Papa 1 of Bayelsa.”
In 2007, Timaya released his second album “Gift and Grace,” which was also well-received, producing hit tracks like “Plantain Boy” and “Ogologo Ndu.” The success of this album further cemented Timaya’s place in the Nigerian music scene.
Over the years, Timaya has continued to release successful albums and collaborate with other artists, including Patoranking, 2Baba, Olamide, and Wizkid, among others.
Some of his most popular songs include “Bum Bum,” “Ukwu,” and “I Can’t Kill Myself.”
In addition to his music career, Timaya is also a successful businessman with interests in real estate and hospitality.
He launched his first venture in the hospitality industry, “Signature Lounge,” in 2019 and has since expanded to include “Grill and Chill” and “Signature Bakery.”
Timaya’s success has earned him numerous accolades over the years, including the Nigerian Entertainment Award for Best Dancehall/Reggae Artist in 2014 and 2015 and the Headies Award for Best Reggae/Dancehall Single in 2018.
He has also been nominated for several other awards and has performed at major events both in Nigeria and internationally.
Timaya is a proud father of three children. He had his first daughter, Emma, in 2012 with his long-time girlfriend, Barbara Nwokolo.
In 2018, he welcomed a son, Emmanuel, with his second baby mama, Tama, who is also a popular Ghanaian actress. Timaya and Tama also have another daughter, Maya, who was born in 2019.
Timaya has often spoken about the importance of family and fatherhood in his life. In an interview with Punch Nigeria, he mentioned that becoming a father changed his outlook on life and inspired him to work harder to provide for his family.
Philanthropy and Advocacy
In addition to his music career, Timaya is also involved in several philanthropic and advocacy initiatives.
He is passionate about giving back to his community and supporting causes that promote youth empowerment, education, and environmental sustainability.
Timaya has been involved in several charitable activities over the years, including donating to orphanages and organizing free concerts for fans in his hometown.
In 2018, he launched the “The Vibes Foundation,” a non-profit organization focused on empowering young people through education and skills training.
In addition to his philanthropic work, Timaya has also been vocal about social and political issues affecting Nigeria and Africa.
He has used his platform to advocate for better governance, youth empowerment, and environmental sustainability.
READ MORE >>> AsakeBiography
Mental Health and Wellbeing
Timaya has also spoken openly about his struggles with mental health and the importance of taking care of oneself.
In a 2019 interview with The Guardian Nigeria, he mentioned that he had experienced depression and anxiety in the past and encouraged others to seek help when needed.
Timaya has also been a strong advocate for the legalization of cannabis in Nigeria, arguing that it can have positive benefits for mental health and overall wellbeing.
He has also mentioned that he uses cannabis to help manage his own mental health.
Hobbies and Interests
Outside of music and philanthropy, Timaya has several hobbies and interests. He is an avid football fan and has often shared his love for the sport on social media.
He is also a fan of fashion and has been known to rock bold and colorful outfits both on and off stage.
Timaya is also a lover of luxury cars and has an impressive collection of cars, including a Mercedes-Benz G-Wagon, a Bentley, and a Range Rover, among others.
Timaya, a successful Nigerian musician, has ventured into various business activities throughout his career.
In addition to music, he has built a reputation as a successful entrepreneur, investing in different ventures that have expanded his brand and financial portfolio.
Here is a more detailed look at some of Timaya’s notable business ventures:
- DM Records: Timaya founded DM Records in 2007, and it has since grown to become one of the most successful record labels in Nigeria. The label has produced hit songs such as “Ukwu” and “Dem Mama,” and it has signed several artists over the years. DM Records has also helped launch the careers of other successful artists, including Patoranking and Runtown.
- Real Estate: Timaya has invested heavily in real estate, building several properties, including his mansion in Port Harcourt, which is estimated to be worth over ₦500 million. He has also invested in other real estate projects in Nigeria, such as a hotel in Lekki, Lagos. His real estate investments have helped him accumulate a significant amount of wealth over the years.
- InSkate: In 2018, Timaya launched InSkate, a venture that provides a platform for skateboarding enthusiasts in Nigeria. The initiative aims to promote the sport and provide a recreational outlet for young people. Timaya has been actively involved in promoting InSkate on his social media channels, and it has gained significant traction in the country.
- Hennessy Ambassador: Timaya was appointed as a brand ambassador for Hennessy in Nigeria in 2019, a deal that has further boosted his brand value. The partnership has also seen Timaya feature in Hennessy’s “The Conversation” series, where he shares insights into his life and music career.
- Investment: Timaya has also invested in other businesses, including agriculture and fashion. In 2020, he invested in a poultry farm in Rivers State, which is said to be one of the largest in the state. He has also launched a fashion line called “Chulo Vibes,” which features casual wear and accessories.
- Endorsement Deals: Timaya has signed several endorsement deals with various brands in Nigeria, including telecommunication companies and alcoholic beverage brands. In addition to Hennessy, he has been a brand ambassador for Globacom and Nigerian Breweries.
Awards and Recognition
Timaya’s impressive music career has earned him numerous awards and recognition both locally and internationally. Here are some of the notable awards and recognition he has received over the years:
- Nigerian Music Video Awards (NMVA) – Best Reggae/Dancehall Video (“True Story”) – 2008
- Nigerian Entertainment Awards (NEA) – Best Dancehall Artiste – 2010
- The Headies – Best Reggae/Dancehall Single (“Plantain Boy”) – 2010
- Channel O Music Video Awards – Most Gifted Afro-Pop Video (“Bum Bum”) – 2014
- City People Entertainment Awards – Musician of the Year (Male) – 2014
- All Africa Music Awards (AFRIMA) – Best Reggae/Dancehall Artiste in Africa – 2015
- The Headies – Best Reggae/Dancehall Single (“Ukwu”) – 2014
- MTV Africa Music Awards (MAMA) – Best Collaboration (“Sanko” featuring Diamond Platnumz) – 2015
- Nigerian Entertainment Awards (NEA) – Best Pop/R&B Artiste – 2015
- SoundCity MVP Awards – African Artiste of the Year – 2018
In addition to these awards, Timaya has also been recognized for his contribution to the music industry and Nigerian society.
In 2011, he was appointed as a Peace Ambassador by the Interreligious and International Federation for World Peace (IIFWP) in recognition of his efforts towards promoting peace and unity in Nigeria.
Furthermore, in 2018, Timaya was featured in the Forbes Africa “30 Under 30” list, which showcases young African entrepreneurs and change-makers who are making an impact in their respective fields.
READ MORE>>> Justin bieber biography
Legacy And Influence
Timaya’s influence on the Nigerian music industry cannot be overlooked. He has carved a unique niche for himself with his blend of dancehall, afrobeat, and reggae music.
His style and sound have influenced a new generation of Nigerian musicians and put the spotlight on the southern part of Nigeria, where he hails from.
One of Timaya’s most significant contributions to the industry is his consistent delivery of hit tracks. He has been in the industry for over a decade and has maintained a level of relevance that is admirable.
His debut album, “True Story,” which was released in 2007, was a commercial success, and since then, he has released several other albums that have all been well-received by fans and critics.
Timaya has also been instrumental in the rise of several Nigerian music stars. He has collaborated with artists such as Patoranking, Runtown, and Mr. Eazi, among others, providing them with a platform to showcase their talents.
Furthermore, Timaya’s philanthropic efforts have also had a significant impact on Nigerian society. He has used his platform to advocate for better healthcare and education in Nigeria.
In 2017, he launched a charity organization called the “Timaya Foundation for Empowerment” to help underprivileged individuals in Nigeria.
Timaya has released several songs throughout his music career, spanning over a decade. Here is a list of some of his notable songs:
- Dem Mama
- Dem Mama Anthem
- True Story
- P.O.N.T.I. (Patience Ozokwor No Tension)
- Plantain Boy
- God You Are 2 Much
- I Don Blow
- E dey Pain Me
- Who Born You
- Lai Lai (featuring Terry G)
- I’m a Ruler
- Love Over Me
- I Don’t Really Care
- Dem No Like Me (featuring Raskimono)
- If To Say
- Life Anagaga (featuring M.I)
- Sanko Love
- I Can’t Kill Myself
- I’m Suffering
- Plantain Seller
- Good or Bad (Oriental Brothers cover)
- All the Way (featuring Attitude)
- Buk Bak
- Sexy Ladies
- Shake Your Bum
- Malonogede (featuring Terry G)
- Go Down Low
- Ekoloma Demba
- Bum Bum (remix featuring Sean Paul)
- Mind Over Matter (featuring D’Banj)
- Bow Down
- Hold Me Now
- Appreciation (featuring 2face Idibia)
- Some More
- Gbagam (featuring Deettii and Phyno)
- Amayanabo (featuring Tomi Owo)
- Gbagam (Instrumental)
- Money (featuring Flavour)
- I Like the Way
- Bang Bang
- Pity 4 Us
- How Many Times (featuring Iyaz)
- Praise and Worship
- All My Ladies
- Dance (featuring Rudeboy)
- Telli Person (featuring Phyno and Olamide)
- Ah Blem Blem
- To U
- Kom Kom (featuring King Perryy and Patoranking)
- Bam Bam (featuring Olamide)
- Number One (featuring Alikiba)
- I Can’t Kill Myself
- Pull Up (featuring Burna Boy)
- The Mood
- Born to Win
- Gra Gra
- Don Dada
- Eff All Day (featuring Phyno)
- Don’t Walk Away (featuring Falz)
- Happy (featuring Machel Montano)
- Something Must to Kill a Man
- Local & Bougie.
Timaya’s net worth is estimated to be over $10 million, according to Celebrity Net Worth. He has accumulated this fortune through his successful music career, record label, DM Records, real estate investments, and various other business ventures.
Social Media Handles
- Instagram: @timayatimaya
- Twitter: @timayatimaya
- Facebook: @timayatimaya
- YouTube: TimayaVEVO